A programme of training is currently being developed this will include a suicide prevention course, self-harm training and dual diagnosis training. We’ll share more information about the full training programme as soon as possible.
In the meantime, there is information on this page about the Trust’s mandatory suicide prevention training as well as other training opportunities.
We need to talk about suicide: helping everyone to feel more confident to talk about suicide
Who should complete this: This training is mandatory for all staff
Duration: Approximately 60 to 90 minutes
Access: This is an eLearning course. You can access the session through the ESR online learning portal. When you login to online learning you'll need to enrol the session.
We need to talk about suicide: helping everyone to feel more confident to talk about suicide is an eLearning programme that has been developed for the wider public health workforce including voluntary sector, blue light services, prison staff and prison listeners, health and social care.
It was developed by Public Health England, in collaboration with people who have attempted to take their own lives and those bereaved or affected by suicide.
This training aims to:
- reduce the stigma associated with suicide
- make people aware of possible signs of mental health problems
- increase people's confidence to approach someone they're concerned about and to have a conversation about suicide
- help people understand that by asking someone how they are, talking about suicide and listening, they can make a real difference
Zero Suicide Alliance (ZSA)
ZSA suicide awareness training
The Zero Suicide Awareness training covers the key issues, offers practical guidance, and takes about 20 minutes.
The session aims to:
- help people identify when someone is displaying suicidal thoughts or behaviour
- build people's confidence to speak out in a supportive way
- empower people to signpost others to appropriate services or support
ZSA gateway module
This is a very brief introduction to suicide awareness, which gives tips for approaching someone, you're concerned about. The module takes about 10 minutes to complete and is a shortened version of the 20 minute session.
Accessing the training
More details about these training modules can be found on the ZSA website.
The ZSA also offers the step up social isolation module, which focuses on building people’s resilience following the Covid-19 lockdown.
The Zero Suicide Alliance is a collaborative of NHS Trusts, businesses and individuals committed to suicide prevention.