Training for searching
We provide support and training for searching databases and other online information sources. If you are new to literature searching or need to brush-up your skills, one-to-one training sessions are available - details on our Search Training flyer. Contact the Library to book a training session. Training will be made available within one week of a request being made, when the Library is fully staffed.
We also have a drop-in clinic on the afternoon of the first Monday of every month, when you can get help without having to make an appointment.
The eLearning for Healthcare website has several modules to help you develop your literature searching skills. The modules are aimed at those new to literature searching or would like a refresher.
You can access the modules via the homepage.
There is no need to login to access the content, just click on Play then Continue. Alternatively you can choose to login with your NHS OpenAthens account.
This software can be particularly useful if you are studying or doing research as it enables you to manage all of your references in one location and also create in-text citations using 'cite while you write'. EndNote X.7 is available on all of the PCs in the Library.
The Library accesses eBooks from different providers; each has a slightly different user platform. We have detailed user guides for each platform:
Trip have produced a number of short videos that demonstrate how to use the database.
- Signing up on Trip - how to create an account in order to save searches and view your search history (Trip)
- Logging in to Trip - how to log in once you have created an account, you do not need to do this if you only want to search the database (Trip)
- Using the advanced search facility - an explanation of the different search fields (Trip)
- PICO search - how to use PICO to structure your search (Trip)
- Refining your search and filters - how to filter your search results to get to the most relevant evidence (Trip)
- Saving your results with 'starring' - how to bookmark/ save results (Trip)
- Browsing your history on Trip - how to view what you have searched for, what you have looked at and your saved results (Trip)